Single Barrel (SiB) selections are the newly allocated bourbons. CBS members, as well as bourbon novices and enthusiasts often ask how we determine who gets to pick these “one-of-a-kind” barrels.
The answer is easy. We’ve created the Charlotte Bourbon Society Hospitality Barrel Pick Panel. Our panel consists of the “best of the best” mixologists, chefs, and owners/operators in the city of Charlotte. Curating craft cocktails and pairing them with food is an art. Our panel of highly trained mixologists and chefs are palate pleasers, so when choosing a particular barrel profile, they always take the consumer into consideration.
Picking a barrel is typically a 1 to 2-hour process that involves 6-8 palates, choosing between 3 to 6 barrel samples (if not more), and then narrowing it down to the barrels to be bottled and sold at our local ABC stores. If you aren’t lucky enough to get one, or your friends don’t want to share, you can probably find it at one of our local whiskey establishments.
We believe that SiBs are the short and long-term answer to the allocation shortage we experience living in a controlled state. We’re very fortunate to have great relationships with the spirits industry, Meck ABC, and single barrel program managers.
SiBs is a unique and one-of-a-kind selection that, once gone, it’s gone. Cheers!
PREMIUM BARRELS CURATED BY CHARLOTTE’S LEADING BARTENDERS & CHEFS:
- Templeton Rye – ✅ PICKED! We were the only group in the Southeast to get this pick! A few remain at Store 29 as of 1/20/23
- Knob Creek Rye – ✅ PICKED! Released Dec 2021. This delicious pick is sprinkled out in the wild (Meck ABC) – [SOLD OUT]
- Barrel Craft Spirits – ✅ PICKED! 2 Bourbon, 2 Rye, and 1 Finished Whiskey – not many left! [SOLD OUT]
- Old Soul – ✅ PICKED! 3 Barrels Selected, May 2021 [SOLD OUT]
- Whistle Pig Whiskey – ✅ PICKED! 2 Barrels Selected, Released Oct 2021 [SOLD OUT]
- Ron Izalco Rum 10 Year Premium Rum – ✅ PICKED! Private Reserve at Cask Strength, Released Oct 2021 | Still available at several Meck ABC Stores as of 1/20/23
- Larceny – ✅ PICKED! 5 Barrels Selected, Released Dec 2021 [SOLD OUT]
- RY3 Whiskey – ✅ PICKED! 1st Pick in North Carolina! Released Sept 2021 [SOLD OUT]
- Wilderness Trail Distillery – ✅ PICKED! Wheater | Cask Strength 114 Proof. @Lazy Day Liquors [SOLD OUT]
- Brown Forman – ✅ PICKED! 6 Woodford Picks | Released Nov-Dec 2021 & May 2022
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon Personal Selection – still available at some Meck ABC stores
- Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Barrel Personal Selection – released May 2022 #1, #2 & #3 – still available at Meck ABC stores
- Woodford Reserve Rye Whiskey Personal Selection Released Nov 2021 – [SOLD OUT]
- Southern Distilling Company – Southern Star Double Rye Bartenders Selection – ✅ PICKED! [SOLD OUT]
- Elijah Craig – Barrel Proof – ✅ PICKED! Released Dec 2021 [SOLD OUT]
- Russels Reserve – ✅ PICKED! Released at Barrelpalooza III (11/22) – heard there was some left at Park rd ABC (AO 1-4-23).
- Jack Daniels Barrel Proof – ✅ PICKED! Released Dec 2021 (CBS Barrelpalooza I) [SOLD OUT] – Best Jack pick yet!
- Mystic Special Release “The Art of Bourbon” | ✅ PICKED! Distillery Only | Still available at Mystic Farm & Distillery (AO 1-24-22)
- Bulleit Bourbon | ✅ PICKED! 4 DELICIOUS BARRELS | Released Dec 2021 (CBS Barrel Palooza) – [SOLD OUT]
- Stellum Whiskey | ✅ PICKED! Released – Barrelpalooza III (11/22) – some still out there in the wild!
- Lone Elm Whiskey | ✅ PICKED! Released Summer 2022 [SOLD OUT]
- Three Chord Bourbon |✅ PICKED! Released at Barrelpalooza II – May 2022 – We’ve heard a few bottles are still available at Meck ABC stores
- RY3 Whiskey |✅ PICKED! – Released May 2022 at Barrelpalooza II [SOLD OUT]
- RY3 Whiskey Cognac Finish| ✅ PICKED! – Released at Barrlepalooza III – still out in the wild!
- Old Soul Bourbon (Yes! Another Old Soul CBS pick!) | ✅ PICKED! Released May 2022at Barrelpalooza II | Still available at Store #29
- Spirits of French Lick | ✅ PICKED! On March 15, 2022, | Released at Barrelpalooza III: Morning Glory, Lee W. Sinclair, Soloman Scott, The Maddie Gladen, Lee Sinclair 4-Grain – still available at Meck ABC stores
- Old Forester SiB Barrel Proof | ✅ PICKED! On May 26, 2022, | @ the Old Forester Distillery! | Released at Barrelpalooza III (11/22) [SOLD OUT]
- George Remus Single Barrel | ✅ PICKED! On March 14, 2022, | Released at Barrelpalooza III (11/22)
- Balcones Distilling | ✅ PICKED! On May 2, 2022, | Released at Barrelpalooza III (11/22) – still available in Meck ABC Stores
- Oak & Eden Whiskey | ✅ PICKED! On February 15, 2022, | Released Summer 2022 | Some expressions still available at Meck ABC Stores (AO 1-20-23)
- Angel’s Envy SiB Custom Proof | ✅ PICKED! On 5/11/22 | Released at Barrelpalooza III (11/22) [SOLD OUT]
- Southern Distilling Company (PARAGON Wheat Mash Bill) | ✅ PICKED! On May 31, 2022, | Released at Barrelpalooza III (11/22) – Honey barrels loaded with flavor! Still available at Meck ABC Stores
- J.P. Wiser’s Canadian Blended Whisky | ✅ PICKED! On May 31, 2022, | Spring Release 2023 | We were guided by Dr. Don Livermore on this amazing blend!
- Pinhook Bourbon | ✅ PICKED! On June 23, 2022, | Released at Barrelpalooza III (11/22 | Two special barrels picked for the Crunkleton Charlotte and the other under CLT Bourbon Society! 7-Year Bourbon [SOLD OUT]
- Elijah Craig | ✅ PICKED! Barrel Proof & 94 Proof | Released at Barrelpalooza III (11/22) [SOLD OUT]
- Ragged Branch | ✅ PICKED! Summer 2022 | Released at Barrelpalooza III (11/22) – close to sold out – still available at Meck ABC stores
- SCHEDULED FOR 2023:
- Weldon Mills Distillery | TBD
- Montana Whiskey Company | Spring/Summer 2023 – we’ll be the first Society in NC to do a pick with MWC! Can’t wait!
- Russell’s Reserve Pick #2 | Spring/Summer 2023
- Elijah Craig | TBD
- Horse Soldier Bourbon | TBD
- Peerless Distilling Company | Winter/Spring 2023
- Smooth Ambler Spirits | Winter/Spring 2023
- Penelope Bourbon | Winter/Spring 2023
- Taconic Bourbon | TBD
- Whistle Pig #3 | Spring 2023 | 2 Barrels of Piggyback 6 Yr BOURBON!
- Whistle Pig NFL Pigskin Alumni Pick! | TBD
- Maker’s Mark | Winter/Spring 2023
- Redline Bourbon | Winter/Spring 2023 – tasty samples on the way!
- Bulleit Bourbon | TBD
- George Dickel Bourbon | TBD
- Old Forester SiB Barrel Proof | Spring 2023
- Barrel Craft Spirits | Winter/Spring 2023 – we have some amazing samples coming!
- Ironroot Republic Bourbon | Spring 2023
- RUA (Great Wagon Road Distilling Co. | Winter/Spring 2023 – tasty samples on the way!
- Old Soul Bourbon – pick #3 | Winter/Spring 2023 – tasty samples on the way!
We have several more barrel picks in the works for 2023! Stay tuned and check back often for updates!
In the beginning … some PAST CBS BARREL PICKS:
- Southern Grace Distilleries – #1, October 2019
- Southern Grace Distilleries – #2, December 2019
- Brown-Forman – Old Forester #1, February 2020
- Maker’s Mark Private Select #1, March 2019
- Brown-Forman – Old Forester #2, July 2020
- Brown-Forman – Woodford Private Select with Chris Morris, October 2020
- George Dickel 9 Year Barrel Select with Nicole Austin, October 2020
- Heaven Hill – Elijah Craig 9 Year, Nov 2020
”CBS has a matured barrel pick program with thought out process, well defined governance and experienced barrel pick-team. I’m thankful for Charlotte Bourbon Society for providing a neutral platform for fast emerging brands such as RY3 Whiskey and Ron Izalco Rum to share our labor of love with whiskey and rum lovers in North Carolina.Karthik SudhirFounder & CEO, Phenomenal Spirits